Monday, June 30, 2014

Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes With Faux Cream Cheese Icing

That's a name and a half, huh?

Because we were camping for the Sidekick's birthday, I didn't end up baking him anything until today. I must say, this recipe actually turned out really well. Sometimes you never know with vegan baking if it is going to rise right or have the same texture as the recipe you are adapting it from. Experience has taught me not to count on anything. But it has also given me the confidence to know that I do, sort of, know what I am talking about when it comes to baking.


My ex used to say it was an exact science, but this actually isn't the case. In fact, the only thing you really need to understand is ideal texture for dough/batter. For example, a cookie batter is going to be denser than a cupcake batter and bread dough for dinner rolls is more sticky than French bread.

It's an exciting life with mixing bowls and measuring spoons. I've always wanted to start my own blog about vegan baking and cooking, but I think posting them here is just fine. If people really want to find a recipe they can just Google it and mine may, or may not, show up. It's not like I'm striving for vegan baked good stardom. Though, if that's a thing, sign me up!

Like I have said before, the reason I love baking is to show the world vegans can (and do) make amazing treats that other vegans (and non-vegans) can love. If I can  get one person to say 'this can't be vegan' then my job is done. But enough of all this blabbering on. Here is the recipe:

Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes With Faux Cream Cheese Icing

Makes 12

Preheat oven 350

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup - Oil (I used canola, but I think coconut might be the best)
1/3 Cup - Coconut Beverage (I use unsweetend) (Or other non milky milk, like almond)
1 Cup - Sugar
1 Tbsp - Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tsp - Vanilla 
1/3 Cup - Lemon Juice 
2 Tbsp - Zest of Lemon
1 1/2 - Cups Flour 
1 Tsp - Baking Soda 
1/2 Tsp - Salt 
1 Cup - Blueberries 

1. Whisk together liquids (oil, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla and lemon juice). Then add sugar and zest of lemon. Put to the side.

2. Mix flour, baking soda and salt together. 

3. Combine wet and dry ingredients, but don't over mix. You never want to over mix!

4. Fold in blueberries.

5. Fill muffin tin (with paper liners) then use your 1/4 measuring cup to fill the cupcake papers. It will be about 3/4 of the way full.

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

While you are letting them cool, make the icing. I use the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World Cream Cheese Icing with a couple modifications:

1/4 Cup - Earth Balance
1/4 Cup - Tofutti Cream Cheese
2.5 Cups - Confectioners Suger
1 Tsp - Vanilla
1 Tbsp - Lemon Juice
1 Tsp - Lemon Zest

1. Cream together cream cheese and Earth Balance.

2. Add vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest

3. Slowly add icing sugar by half cup increments.

4. Refrigerate until the cupcakes are completely cool. Once they are, ice them, use lemon zest as garnish and one blueberry.

BAM! Amazing cupcakes for your mouth! But be forewarned, these are super sweet.

No comments: