Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sock It To Me

Two nights ago I decided to try my hand at knitting socks. It's a new challenge.

One of my goals for this year is to knit a sweater. But socks are a good stepping stone.

The reason I am hesitating on the sweater is because:

A. I don't have the money for nice yard to knit it with.

B. Debating if I should even knit it on nice yard because it could turn out horrible.

C. Not wanting to knit it with cheap acrylic yarn for fear it will turn out awesome and I will have wasted all that time knitting a perfectly wearable sweater out of material that feels terrible against my skin.

These are the woes of a beginner knitter.

That being said. SOCKS!

The pattern I am using and altering is Dark Isle from Ravelry. It's a fairly straightforward pattern, but I just reached the heel. It took me at least a half an hour to figure out what the pattern was talking about. It's an afterthought heel. If only I'd known that. Here's the problem for someone like me, I don't read the whole pattern ahead of time. That means, sometimes, the important notes are at the bottom of the pattern and I just get stuck halfway through because there's no asterisks or 'hey, look at the bottom' note.

That being said. Moving right along.

My worry is that I will get one sock done and then balk at making the second. If I had two circulars I could have made them both at the same time. At least that's what the internet tells me.

Sometimes I sit back and think it's pretty wonderful that you can make clothing out of a ball of string. Does anyone else find this amazing?

Here are some of the projects I completed recently.





Thank the Gods for yarn and needles.

And these are my WIP socks (Or sock, technically, since I am only knitting one so far):



No comments: