Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Quentin Tarantino Can't Act

He needs to stop 'acting' in his films. Actually, in all films. He needs to stop appearing in any movie, commercial or anything that has him speaking.

And I put 'acting' in quotes because I can't be certain that's what he is doing at all. He definitely isn't adding anything to the quality of the film or plot in any way. In fact, I will even go so far as to say he ruins any scene he appears in, no matter how big or small. Stilted, stiff, cookie cutter characters with horrible accents, at least that's what I assume he was trying to do in Django, who have the emotional range of a mop and the facial expressions to match.

I can't tell you why this popped into my head this evening. All I know is I haven't been able to get over the atrocity of his cameo in Django. It might be forgivable if this was the first time, but it wasn't. The truth is, he's been bringing down the quality of films since 1992. Yes, I am talking about Reservoir Dogs, and no, I don't think there was anything redeeming about Mr. Brown. The rest of the cast was golden which is why this movie will always be considered a classic. Sadly no one wants to talk about how horrible the 'Like A Virgin' speech was at the beginning because it was so iconic. Yes, it can be wonderful and terrible at the same time. The writing was great and if there was another actor playing Mr. Brown, it would probably be the best opening scene to any movie ever. Unfortunately, Tarantino's inability to deliver a believable line makes it less so, if not a bit on the tedious side.

Maybe one day we will talk about this guy's ego, but I don't have enough words, time, or energy to harness my sheer annoyance over the man to sit down and write about it. That said, I genuinely love his films, but he's not doing anything new. The man knows how to make a great film. He just needs to give credit to everyone he's ripping off.

How did we get on this subject? I don't know. Goodnight.



Painful to watch, no?

No comments: