Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Issue With Makeup

As a lot of you know, I hate wearing makeup. Actually, it goes beyond hate. We have a deep-seated animosity for one another. Makeup loathes me because I don't appreciate the magic it can work on a plain face, and I despise makeup because it only perpetuates feelings of not being good enough in our own skin. Makeup to me generates unrealistic expectations and only exacerbates the idea that women need to be beautiful all the time, or that they aren't beautiful when they don't make themselves up.

People can argue with me all they like, but the only reason women wear makeup is to look better. They want their eyes bigger, brighter, bolder, cheeks more pronounced, contouring to accent their features, acne and dark circles gone, eyebrows more defined. They want less shine and more evenness. The simple act of going out and buying makeup says to the world, "I need to be more beautiful." There's this whole 'I'm not good enough' vibe behind it.

A couple months ago a bunch of women were posting pictures of themselves not wearing makeup all over the social medias. This was a huge deal! Because it's odd for a lot of women to leave the house without being done up. Girls at a very young age start wearing makeup, they get in the habit of wearing it every day, and eventually it gets to the point where they don't want to leave the house unless they've at LEAST got some mascara, blush, and lipstick on. As the years go by, teenagers turn into women, and their dependency on makeup only gets stronger.

Don't get me wrong. I know there are a ton of women who LOVE makeup and all it stands for. I know there will be a lot of people who don't understand my annoyance or thoughts on the subject. But part of me thinks it's because they have been buying into this multi-billion dollar industry for so long they can't fathom not being a part of it.

Personally, I love it when girls don't wear makeup, but the rest of society doesn't seem to be the same way. It's why magazines with makeup-less celebrities are so popular. People love seeing others at their worst. I just find it a shame that our natural state is our 'worst'. And this doesn't just go for the rich and famous. I know girls who, if they go to work or out to party without makeup, people will ask them if they are sick, not feeling well. It's because your friends and family get used to seeing you with makeup on. Take that away and you're sickly.

What's even more frustrating is when you see makeup tips for a more 'natural' look. Yeah, natural to me means without, right? Like the gorgeous content of your soul shines through your eyes.

Hey, I don't make up these rules. Also, I don't like them. Even more, I am agitated that I am being affected by it. Because I have to do my hair, dress nice and put on makeup for my job, when I get a day off and don't put on eyeliner, I actually think I look worse now. How is this possible when I existed in a makeup free world for the majority of my life? That's what's getting to me. I have to retrain my brain to remember that I like the way I look without makeup.

Guess I am just feeling a little disgruntled tonight.

2 comments:

A.M. Guynes/Annikka Woods said...

I don't wear makeup often, but when I do it's for job interviews and some photos. I have horrible rosacea and people think I'm 16/17 because of it rather than my true age of 37. Some people put me in my early 20's, which I'd find flattering if they didn't mention it was because of the discoloration on my face. Otherwise I totally loathe makeup and will avoid putting it on at all costs.

Sessha Batto said...

I don't ever wear makeup - not even for special events. I don't even own any! I've managed just fine without for over half a century and I'm not going to start now ;)