Friday, May 16, 2014

Healthy Cookies - Cuffin or Mookie?

Sounds like an oxymoron, right?

I thought so too. The other day my mom posted a recipe for so-called healthy cookies. No sugar. No flour. No butter. Surely these so called cookies would be disgusting, right?

Well, no. At least the recipe I made up tonight wasn't. In fact, it turned out pretty good. First, I will give you the recipe, then I will tell you a bit about the cookie itself.

Recipe:

3 Ripe Bananas
1 Cup of unsweetened Applesauce
2 Cups Quick Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup lightly packed raisins
2 Tsps Vanilla
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.

Soak raisins to make them soft and not hard. Mash bananas and combine with applesauce. Add vanilla and spices. Mix in rolled oats and raisins. Let sit for five minutes. Spoon onto cookie sheets with parchment or cooking spray. Bake until golden brown. Mine took about 22 minutes. Lift onto cooling rack and let cool for 5-10 minutes.

Okay, now for the break down. This recipe made fifteen cookies and work out to be 86 calories per cookie. Not too shabby, huh? For a no sugar, no flour cookie, they are pretty amazing. I mean, I was expecting them to be really bland, but they are quite flavourful. They look like cookies. They smell like cookies when baking. But do they taste like cookies?

Not exactly, but it's so close I can't really put it in any other category. They aren't as sweet as other cookies, you see, and the texture is a bit different. In fact, it's almost a bit pudding-ish in the middle. Not in a gross way, though, in a delightful pankcakey way. I would recommend upping the amount of oats by half a cup increments until you reach the consistency you like best for cookies.

Honestly, this is almost a cross being a cookie and a muffin. A cuffin, perchance? Or a mookie?

Which do you prefer? Cuffin or Mookie?


1 comment:

Kira said...

Mookie is my vote - they look delicious!