Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Creative Hour

The Sidekick and I are trying to have a creative hour every night. From eight to nine. It's a tactic for each of us to focus on our arts. His being painting and drawing and mine being writing. I thought of the idea and wanted him to join me because if he doesn't participate then I'll feel as if I am ignoring him for an hour every night. Maybe even more, if I get on a roll. 

Last night was our first attempt and it was a complete disaster, though. I opened one of my old documents, a spark that fizzled out, and I wanted to breathe some life into it. Except, the dog I am babysitting decided he wanted to bite me, twice. And, believe it or not, I am one of those annoying people who are affected by their surroundings and what's going on. I love having the television on or music while I am writing, I can even handle the Skype noises when someone is trying to talk to me. 

One of these days, I'm going to finish these WIPs (work in progresses). If anyone asks, I'm not finished here. I have words to write. Books to complete. Stories to wrap up. Characters to flesh out. And plots to weave. Sometimes I worry about exciting stage left without having finished all these books that are half completed (some are even three quarters of the way there.) It concerns me that one day someone will look at my Dropbox writing folder and notice how most of the novels aren't finished. 

Then said person will write a blog about it. 

And the world will know how little follow through I have. 

These are the things I think about when my mind has a couple minutes to run off on its own. 

With all this being said, creative hour is simply a way to dedicate more time to what we love doing. Setting aside this time of day for our art means we have a reason to shut out the world, even each other, and just create. This is nice. Maybe tonight will go smoother. 

No comments: