Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Wordy Wednesday - On Tuesday

So, last week, I forgot it was Wednesday and bypassed my feature of Wordy Wednesday. Well, you're in for a treat this week because you're getting a Wordy Wednesday on Tuesday and Wednesday. It's double the wordy fun! Here it is, last week's word (because it was October 1st) had a terrifying theme, a spooky sound, and paranormal pronunciation. Actually, I just wanted to have some spine-chilling alliteration.

The Word: Cadaverous 

Don't think I only picked cadaverous because it reminds me of Harry Potter and the
Killing Curse. Okay, it had a little bit to do with it. Alright, a lot to do with it. But, come on, Avada Kedavra! Anyone who thinks the second part of the curse has nothing to do with cadavers is seriously delusional. Instead of delving into the wonderful Ministry of Magic and breaking down the Unforgivable curses, I'm going to hold myself together, only to binge watch the Potter films over the next couple days. Getting back to the point, this wasn't the only reason I picked the word.

Sure, every time I say it I imagine I'm a wizard and fighting evil, but that doesn't negate the fact it has a might pleasant way of slipping off the tongue. If the word 'cadaverous' was a creature, it'd be a snake, because there's a distinct hissing sound at the end of it, something I carry out a second or two longer than necessary.

The definition is impeccable as well. Cadaverous - resembling a corpse, imagine ashen, gaunt, skinny. and pale. It can be a smell, as well, a deathlike stench, the unmistakable odour of rotting flesh. Of course, the word comes from Latin - cadaverosus - which is even more Voldemorty - and is derived from 'corpse'. An excellent way of describing someone, can you imagine if Snow White had been characterized as such? It might have painted the whole fairy-tale in a very different light.

Some cadaverous people would be Sweeny Todd, Frankenstein and, of course, Lurch, from the Addams Family.

No comments: