Thursday, November 4, 2010

Excuse Me While I Write My Ass Off

Well, it's November. Writers across the globe have sat down at their computers, fingers poised over the keys, and they're going a little mad. Some of them have wrote three thousand words, others haven't even started, and the rare few have already finished their fifty thousand words. Kidding...I don't think anyone has yet, I mean it is only the fourth.

Up until last year, I didn't have a clue what NANO was, to be honest, I thought it was a Pokemon of some sort. Secret power? I have no clue. Lo and behold, it's National November Writing Month, and it's driving my Twitter and Facebook crazy. The tweets, the updates, the exclamations that they won't be able to complete even though it's only the fourth.

They should really call it, NANOWRIGOCRAMO, National November Writers Going Crazy Month. No seriously, I don't even think some people bathe, or leave their computers, or avert their gaze. I worry about a few of them, myself included.

Last year, I sat down to participate in NANO, and I hammered out the fifty thousand words without batting an eye. Well, okay, that's a lie. I was trying to get my book to the desk on Authonomy and didn't have a moment to spare. I thought I was busy THEN. So, why is it that I feel completely swamped this year?

I'm not trying to get my books to the desk on Authonomy, but still, it's almost as though I don't have a moment to spare. Eating? What's that? Sleeping? Yeah right. No wonder writers are all a little insane. I blame the sleep deprivation.

I sat down to dissect what's on my plate and what I can and cannot hack out to spare up more writing time.

Job?
No, that has to stay, unfortunately.

Vlog?
But I really enjoy doing it, and even though it certainly is the most time consuming (after the job that is) I really don't want to cut it. It will stay.

Blog?
I only really write one or two, maybe three at the most, posts a week. I think I can handle that.

Sleeping?
I don't do that as it is.

Social-Networking?
Ding. Ding. Ding.

I'm sorry, but I have to cut out speaking to all the lovely people I've found on the Internet. I love you all, dearly, but you're damaging my word count. And so, scarifies need to be made in order for me to complete my NANO book. This is goodbye.

Well, I'll just check Twitter one more time...

And Facebook...

Okay, I'll just check in the morning...

After I write 1,000 words.

Oh, someone sent me a direct message...I should reply.

And someone new is following me...I should thank them.

Someone commented on my status...It would be rude if I didn't write something witty back...

Hmmmm. This might not work.

4 comments:

Noelle Pierce said...

Would you believe I have a NaNo-buddy who is at 40k already? So while I don't know if anyone's hit 50 yet, there are some that are damn close.

Um...I'll keep my measly 8k, thanks. Until tonight. Then I want it to be at 10k.

Bring on the pain--I mean, the craziness!

Cameron said...

Seriously, Tee, you need to try Write or Die (if you haven't already). I'm swamped this month, too, but when I use Write or Die I can pump out a thousand words in just under half an hour. Two of those sessions a day and I'm golden. I just hope the motivation continues through the rest of the month!

Jeff Pfaller said...

Boom. She hit it yesterday.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/692227

I don't understand how that is possible w/o 'pre-writing'.

Tee said...

@ Noelle - I think people cheat. And what's the point of writing 50K in four days, I mean, why would you even participate?

@Cameron - I do use Write or Die...I can write 1000 words in half an hour.

@Jef...:-/ I stand corrected.