Wednesday, August 10, 2011

In Bed

The best part about going out for Chinese food is the Fortune Cookies. Ironically, or maybe not so, the Fortune Cookie does not exist in China. It has been said that this tasty little treat was introduced by the Japanese, popularized by the Chinese, but ultimately consumed by Americans. Whether or not that is accurate is beyond me. But it's clearly stated on Wikipedia that the simple recipe of flour, oil, vanilla and sugar is very similar to a Japanese cracker.

Several Chinese groups in California would love to claim responsibility for the creation of the fortune cookie, but since the 19th century, a cookie called omikujo has been served in Japan as a temple tradition. Though the Japanese version of the cookie does differ in a couple ways, it's a bit larger, is darker dough and made with miso and sesame, they still contain a fortune. And so, I must give the point to the Japanese.

Regardless, this isn't about where the cookie came from or who invented it. No, this is about a strange tradition that's developed. When you get a fortune cookie it is customary to add 'in bed' on the end of whatever your fortune may be. Is this is a common practice? Or is it something only my circle of friends know about? I do not know.

One may wonder why we would do such a thing. The answer is simple. For a laugh. Basically, it turns every fortune cookie into a dirty little giggle. Sometimes it doesn't make much sense, but most of the time it is well worth a snicker. A friend of mine once got: You will find financial success. Tack 'in bed' onto it and it becomes, you will have financial success in bed. Well, if that's not encouraging I don't know what is.

The other day, I got the most brilliant fortune. Alone it was amazing. It made me smile thinking about all the possabilities. And then, when I tacked 'in bed' on the end, I was left a little hot and bothered.I can't really explain it, so I'm just going to show you my fortune.


I can't help but hope this is accurate, with the 'in bed' or without.

Dirty Thoughts 101 - Try not to have them when you're out to dinner with your family.

4 comments:

Jasmine Walt said...

Oh my. That is quite a fortune. ;) I just opened my cookie from Panda Express and it says, "You will be
successful in your career." In bed?

Does that mean I have to sleep my way up the corporate ladder? :o

David Zax: Extremadura said...

You're right T.T.
Very difficult to find a fortune cookie in China.
You got me thinking about who writes them.
I tried to come up with some.
Here's my best effort:

You have just been infected with Tetrodotoxin. In about 20 minutes you will begin to suffer:
Nausea,
Diarrhea,
and death.

Pretty good effort eh?
Also it fits your tag line.

Tee said...

haha. That made me laugh. Would it fit on the tiny piece of paper?

David Zax: Extremadura said...

Bit long eh? I agree. You'd need a piece of A4 to get all that in.
Only way you could serve it would be rolled up inside a pancake.